The Summer and Winter Solstice, and the Spring and Fall Equinox, occur on different dates each year. Refer to your individual calendars for these exact dates.Vocabulary
spring, summer, fall, winter, weather, sun, wind, rain, snow, thermometer, forecast
1. Introduce each season by creating a large calendar for each month of that season. Include the name of the season (as well as the names of the months) and small graphics for holidays.
2. Encourage the children to take turns marking off the days of the week on the calendar each morning.
3. Encourage discussion based on the following questions about the weather conditions of the day and that relationship to the current season:
4. Take a nature walk (weather permitting) to give the children an opportunity to see the changes the season brings. Record their findings on a chart.
5. Document holidays taking place during the season. Some holidays will provide opportunity to study customs around the world and integrate social studies and geography into the science curriculum.