Discussion Questions: The Ethics of Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis
- At what stage of embryo development does preimplantation genetic diagnosis (PGD) take place? Why do you think it is done at this stage?
- What are the benefits and risks of PGD?
- List some of the reasons that make this technique controversial. In what ways is it—or might it one day be—used for screening for something beyond diseases?
- Do you think that our society should try to genetically “engineer” babies, as portrayed in the movie Gattaca? Do you think that one day we will? Explain your answers.
- Contrast the ethics of PGD versus abortion (after amniocentesis indicates a genetic problem). Which do you think you might choose if you had a strong family history of genetic disease, and why?