Discussion Questions: Tour of the Electromagnetic Spectrum: Microwaves
- Make a list of all the uses we have for microwave energy.
- Why do you think microwaves would be useful for communications while x-rays, for example, are not?
- Can microwaves penetrate the atmosphere? Why would it matter whether they could or couldn’t?
- Why was the discovery in Holmdel NJ in 1965 so important?
- What are different bands within the microwave region, and why are specific bands used for specific purposes?
- How are microwaves used in weather prediction?
- Return to the list that you made earlier and add some updates based on what you saw in the video.
- What are some ways microwave technologies have affected our everyday lives?
- Since we can’t actually “see” microwaves, how do scientists produce the satellite images seen in the video?
- Bonus Question: Why would microwaves heat up food in an oven, but not us, even though there are microwave transmitters beaming radiation all around us?