Discussion Questions: Dating Lava Flows on Mauna Loa Volcano, Hawaiʻi
- How do volcanic eruptions affect life on land?
- How does the scientist determine which lava flows are older?
- In this video, how old was the plant root? How old is the lava surrounding the plant? Is the lava below this flow younger or older than the plant?
- What method was used to date the plant remains found in the lava in this video?
- Why do you think that plants grow so fast on Mauna Loa? What is the significance of learning that the forests are only hundreds of years old rather than thousands of years old? What evidence is there that volcanic soil is more fertile than other soils?