Discussion Questions: Glaciers
- Imagine an icy mass composed of ice crystals, air, water, and rock debris, which has been inching away from the ocean in which it was formed. Is this icy mass a glacier?
- Why do some areas that receive lots of snow have no glaciers? What are important factors to glacier formation?
- What is the difference between an ice sheet and an ice cap?
- The South Pole has a huge ice sheet, but the North Pole does not have one. Why?
- What determines the rate at which a glacier moves?