Discussion Questions: The Grand Canyon: Conservation and Development
- What are three major effects of the Glen Canyon Dam on the Colorado River inside the Grand Canyon?
- After doing research to determine additional motivations, list the reasons the government decided to build a dam on the Glen Canyon.
- What would be lost and what would be gained if it were decided that the Glen Canyon Dam should be disassembled and the river allowed to flow naturally again?
- Consider the changes to the river ecosystem that the dam is causing. Without human intervention, do natural ecosystems remain stable and constant over time? Explain your answer.
- Some plans for building dams have been rejected in the U.S. and Canada. What are some of the reasons people wouldn't want dams built in certain areas?