Discussion Questions: Deep-Sea Vents and Life's Origins
- What are deep-sea vents? How are they formed? Can you think of any equivalent structures or processes on land?
- What characteristics of the vent environment suggest life could have begun there?
- What is the ultimate food source in the vent community?
- What role do the organisms of deep-sea vents play in cycling certain elements?
- If similar geothermal conditions existed on other planets, do you think that life could form there? Explain.