Discussion Questions: Bubonic Plague
- Why were San Francisco's health officials so concerned about bubonic plague? Explain why they were right or wrong in the actions they took.
- How is bubonic plague transmitted?
- What kinds of environmental conditions increase the transmission of plague to humans?
- How does an understanding of the transmission of bubonic plague and other diseases help prevent their spread?
- Today, plague still threatens as a health problem in communities in New Mexico. Can you think of reasons why this might be the case?