Discussion Questions: Smart Sea Lions
- Describe the "reasoning" task that Colleen planned for Rio.
- Do you think this is a simple or complicated reasoning task? At what age do you think a human could reason in a similar way?
- Give an example of how this kind of reasoning is used in everyday life.
- In what ways are the skills that Rio demonstrates related to language?
- Do you agree with the scientist's statement that there are no traits that are uniquely human? Or, in other words, that there are no traits that are not shared to a greater or lesser degree with other animals? Explain.