Funding for the VITAL/Ready to Teach collection was secured through the United States Department of Education under the Ready to Teach Program.
Academic standards correlations on Teachers' Domain use the Achievement Standards Network (ASN) database of state and national standards, provided to NSDL projects courtesy of JES & Co.
We assign reference terms to each statement within a standards document and to each media resource, and correlations are based upon matches of these terms for a given grade band. If a particular standards document of interest to you is not displayed yet, it most likely has not yet been processed by ASN or by Teachers' Domain. We will be adding social studies and arts correlations over the coming year, and also will be increasing the specificity of alignment.
Students watch a video segment, take notes and follow directions to create both a diagram with captions and a drawing that communicates information about camouflaging.
Learners critically analyze texts by identifying which details are important to note. Note taking allows learners to focus, organize and clarify their thinking and understanding of texts.
1. Before beginning this activity, make copies of and distribute the Storyboard handout and the Following Directions Checklist handout. Also distribute paper for drawings. Ask students to take out blank sheets of paper for note taking and crayons, markers or colored pencils.
2. Explain to the class that they are going to watch a video about observing nature. In this segment, students learn how to camouflage themselves so they can observe wildlife without being detected. When viewing the segment, ask your class to take notes on the sequence of steps and materials students used to camouflage themselves.
3. After viewing the video, allow time for students to share their notes with peers and make changes where necessary.
For students who need additional guidance in completing the chart:
1. Review the Following Directions rubric with the class. Students will use their notes and the Following Directions Checklist handout to construct a diagram on the Storyboard handout. They draw and label the sequence of steps and materials that students in the video used to camouflage themselves. Last, continuing to follow the directions on the Following Directions Checklist handout, students create a drawing of a person who is camouflaged in the wilderness.
2. Students share their drawings with their peers in small groups and try to find the person camouflaged in each one. These drawings may also be posted on a bulletin board to be viewed by students.Portfolio:
The diagram created on the Storyboard handout and students' drawings can be added to portfolios to demonstrate mastery of following directions and labeling diagrams to convey information.